Wells Chapel Baptist Church is located near Wallace, N.C. in Duplin County. It was organized as Bulltail or Bultail in 1756 with the Rev. Samuel Newton as the first pastor. There are no records for the periods 1760-1789 or 1838-1852. Bulltail was affiliated with the Kehukee Association in its early years. In June of 1935, the name of "Bulltail" was changed to Wells Chapel, by which the church is still known. It is at present (1964) in the Easter Association. The records vary in condition from good to bad but are fairly complete except for the missing periods listed above. Many of the volumes contain lists of congregations and membership of the church at various periods.
This collection is open for research.
Wells Chapel Baptist Church (Sampson County, N.C.) (CRMF191), Z. Smith Reynolds Library Special Collections and Archives.
This collection contains minutes of church conferences from August 13, 1793 to October 14, 1934, including male, female, and black membership rolls, a 1940 membership roll, historical sketches, and miscellaneous papers, 1824-1846 [broken series].
The nature of the WFU Z. Smith Reynolds Library Special Collections and Archives means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Archives and Special Collections of ZSR Library claims only physical ownership of most materials. The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to the U.S. Copyright Law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Received on loan for deposit from Mr. James K. Rooks, Kerr, N.C., Sept. 21, 1951.
Wells Chapel Baptist Church records (Sampson County, N.C.) Records (MS808), Z. Smith Reynolds Library Special Collections and Archives, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC USA.
Transcribed by Hayley Fisher, 2014. Formerly identified as CR74.
Minutes of church conferences from August 13, 1793 to October 8, 1803 at Bultail and Moores Creek meeting houses. Subjects include the appointment of delegates to the association, the licensing of John Beesly (Nov. 1798) and Williams Wells (1802); the reception, discipline, and dismissal of church members; special collections for the association (1799) and queries received and answered. The church received delegates and corresponded with Plummer Meeting House (Cape Fear church), north East River, Bear Marsh, Muddy Creek, Seven Miles, and Fork and Rowan meeting houses of Cohory church. This volume is a small notebook in good condition containing ink entries on un-numbered pages [38pp.]
Minutes of church conferences from October 13, 1793 to May 1808(minutes, 1793-1803 recopied in vol.1. Subjects include those listed in volume 1.Delegates and correspondence were received from the churches listed above and Beaver Dam Baptist Church, Island Creek, and the new meeting house at Concord. This volume contains loose pages in bad condition with ink entries on un-numbered pages [56pp.] This volume should not be used at all due to its condition.
Minutes of church conferences from September 10, 1808 to September 12, 1817. Subjects include most of those listed in the prior volumes and the observance of the Lord's Supper (1814) and metnion of Black members. Churches and messengers mentioned were Brown's meetin house, Beaver Dam and its arm at Briary Branch, Roam and Fork meeting houses belonging to Cohory Baptist Churc, Saddletree, Cape Fear, Island Creek, Conconrd Meeting House and Lisbon. This volume is a small notebook in good condition containing ink entries on un-numbered pages [56pp.]
Minutes of church conferences from October 11, 1817 to September 1829, including male and female membership rolls, 1819. Subjects include most of those listed in prior voumes and the licensing (1820) and ordination (1822) of Dennis Rogers; church action to disapprove free schools to educate those called to the ministry (Sept. 1820); the formation of a missionary society (July 1824); a discussion of Masonic membership (1826); admittance of Black members (July 1823); the licensing of George Fennell (July 1823); and delegates and messengers sent and received from Roan, Fork Meeting House, Concord Meeting House, Riley's Creek, and Lisbon. This volume is a small notebook in good condition containing ink entries on un-numbered pates [58pp.]
Minutes of church conferences from September 12, 1930 to October 14, 1834, and 1940 membership roll. Subjects include most of those listed in prior volumes. Minutes are scattered and appear to be incomplete. This is an enelope of loose un-numbered pages containing ink entries.
Minutes of church conferences from October 10, 1829 to January 7, 1837. Subjects include msot of those listed in prior ovlumes and the licensing 91832) and ordination (1833) of George W. Hufham; an alarm becasue of a Negro uprising (Sept. 1831); members dismissed to constitute Moore's Creek (1833); a proposed new decorum (1835); the change of name from Bultail to Wells Chapel (11 July 1835) to honor Willian Wells who died 17 Sept. 1835. Delegates were sent and messengers received from Lisbon, Concord, Maxwell Beaverdam Meeting House, Limestone Meeting House, Island Creek, Nahugna, Lebanon, and Moors Creek. This volume is a small notebook containing ink entries on un-numbered pages [64pp.]
contains a typescript pamphlet by J.T. Alderman, "Records of Wells Chapel Church, formerly Bultail," and a bound manuscript of 24 pages continuing Adlerman's sketch.
Contains a peition of David Wells to Concord Chruch, Duplin Co., N.C., for a letter of dismissal with a copy of the letter granted , Feb. 1827; the church letter to the Goshen Baptist Association, 1827, a list of male and femle members of "Bultail" meeting house, April, 1824; folded sheet containing proceedings of the conference of Wells Chapel Church, April 1846, a list of black members; and a faded manuscript letter.
Minutes of church conferences from April 15, 1876 to June 13, 1891, including male and female membership rolls, in 1876; and a revised roll dated 1887. Subjects include most of those mentioned in previous volumes and tributes of respect for William J. Newton (p. 14); S. J. Faison (p. 38), Owen Fennell (p. 63), Lewis Highsmith (p.78), J.G. Newton (p.80), Mary Wells and Eliza Devane (p. 82); and the deaths of Ann Newton, Margaret Bland, and Mary J. Pigford (p. 115).
Minutes of chruch conferences from July 9, 1853 to March 18, 1876, including male, female, and Black membership rolls, 1853-1873 [broken series]. Subjects include most of those listed in prior volumes and financial matters; revivals; licensing (1866) and ordination (1874) of William Bland; special collections for soldier's testaments (1861) and for a tombstone for David Wells (1863); a new church building (1864-65); merger of Lebanon with Wells Chapel (Aug. 1866); the sale to Blacks and movement of the old church building (1867-1868); aid for Wake forest college (1872); the recording of the church deed (1874); a tribute to J.N. Bland (1875); and a record of deaths (1853-1862). This ledger-sized volume is in bad condition with the cover missing. It has loose pages with ink entries. Some of the text is affected by water stains.
Minutes of church conferences from October 10, 1891 to February 8, 1925, including male and female alphabetical membership roll; a roll by date of admittance; and other rolls (pp. 57-177, 181-184, 189-190). Subjects include most of those in prior volumes and resolutions for deceased members (pp. 149-156); the ordination of Ralph Alderman Herring (between pp. 144-149) 3 July 1923; notes on church actions regarding missionary David Wells Herring (p. 10, 14, 15); and a dancing resolution, 1901 (p.177). This volume is ledger-size containing ink, pencil, and a few typescrip entries (tipped in) on 190 pages. Pages in teh front of the volume are un-numbered. The front cover has come loose. Pages missing are 53-54, 145-148, 161-170, and 185-187.