Home Digital Collections Special Collections and Archives Finding Aids

Clemmons Baptist Church (Clemmons, N.C.) records

Finding Aid & Inventory

Biographical and Historical Note

During 1863 Elder John A. Cornish began preaching at the old union meeting house known as Muddy Creek about three miles southeast of Clemmons, N.C. On February 3, 1866, Elders Cornish and Aaron Yarborough constituted a church at Muddy Creek with ten charter members. 1874, the church had outgrown its meeting house and decided to move to Clemmonsville (present day Clemmons). A lot was secured about one quarter of a mile from the village of Clemmonsville where a new church was built. In May of 1887, the church changed its name to Clemmonsville Baptist Church. In 1902 plans were made for the construction of a new church which was completed about 1909. On September 2, 1962 the church again changed its name to Clemmons Baptist Church. In 1965 the church began another building program with the ground-breaking ceremony for an interim sanctuary and educational building.

Collection Overview

Minutes of church conferences, 1866-1934, and 1950-1973, including membership rolls, the church covenant, and rules of order. Other records include history scrapbooks, a membership roll, 1897-1973; and newspaper clippings, 1958-1973. Manuscripts and typescripts.

Summary Information

Repository
Z. Smith Reynolds Library Special Collections and Archives
Creator
Clemmons Baptist Church (Clemmons, N.C.).
Title
Clemmons Baptist Church (Clemmons, N.C.) records
ID
CRMF365
Date [inclusive]
1866-1973
Extent
3.0 microfilm reel(s)  35mm; negative
Microform [Reel]
3
Microform [Reel]
1
Microform [Reel]
2

Administrative Information

Publication Information
Z. Smith Reynolds Library Special Collections and Archives
Use Restrictions
This record is in the National Union Catalog of Mss. Permission of the church must be obtained to photocopy these records in their entirety. 

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

Geographic Name(s)

Subject(s)

‹ Staff view ›