Home Digital Collections Special Collections and Archives Finding Aids

Chimney Rock Baptist Church (Chimney Rock, N.C.) records

Finding Aid & Inventory

Biographical and Historical Note

Chimney Rock Baptist Church was organized July 7, 1892 as Whiteside Valley. The presbytery forming the church met in the home of J.M. Whiteside and was composed of representatives from Big Level, Cooper's Gap, Rock Springs, and Bill's Creek churches. The church was named for A.W. Whiteside. Names of the charter members were not given. Reverend Zachary T. Whiteside was elected pastor. A meeting house was soon erected. Plans were announced by the Carolina Mountain Power Company to build Lake Lure Dam across the Broad River at a point known as Tumbling Shoals. The new lake would soon cover the meeting place of the church. The property including the graveyard was sold to the company and the church was moved. On August 29, 1926 the church changed its name to Chimney Rock Baptist Church. In 1945 property was secured for a parsonage. This was sold, and in March 1951 the present parsonage near the church was bought, remodeled, and dedicated.

Collection Overview

Minutes of church conferences from 1892 to 1971; ten history sketches, undated; and newspaper clippings from 1967 to 1972. Manuscript and newsprint.

Collection Inventory

  • Church Minute Book, Vol. 1, 1892-1929 (1892-1929)
  • Church Minute Book, Vol. 2, 1926-1942 (1926-1942)
  • Church Minute Book, Vol. 3, 1942-1954 (1942-1954)
  • Church Minute Book, Vol. 4, 1958-1971 (1958-1971)

Summary Information

Repository
Z. Smith Reynolds Library Special Collections and Archives
Creator
Chimney Rock Baptist Church (Lake Lure, N.C.).
Title
Chimney Rock Baptist Church (Lake Lure, N.C.) records
ID
CRMF367
Date [inclusive]
1892-1972
Extent
1.0 microfilm reel(s)  35mm; positive
Microform [Reel]
1

Administrative Information

Publication Information
Z. Smith Reynolds Library Special Collections and Archives

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

Geographic Name(s)

Subject(s)

‹ Staff view ›